Wednesday, June 29, 2011

An Example: Learning Guitar

I've taught guitar to several people. My guitar teaching methodology is annoying and frustrating to some. Basically, I have my students practice playing chords without strumming (except to check and see if the chord sounds okay) and I have them practice a strumming patter (down-down-up-up-down-up) without playing chords. When they try to do both at the same time, they get frustrated because they can't keep the rhythm. They are trying to do too many new things at once.

That is similar to learning Greek. In translating a sentence correctly and confidently, you need to master:
1) parsing of all words possible
2) the meaning of the cases (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative)
3) the meaning of the tense, voice, and mood of Greek verbs
4) basic English grammar
5) the meaning of the Greek words

Trying to implement all of these at one time causes most students to panic. They end up skipping points 1-4 and going straight to point 5. They are so nervous/anxious/scared that they will forget the meaning of the Greek word, that they jump right into translating without understanding the layout of the sentence.

The process I will show you in the upcoming videos will seem, at first, like it will slow you down and take you longer to translate. In fact, I've 'secretly' timed students when they follow the process I'll show you and it only takes them a half minute to two minutes longer per sentence.

The videos will be up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment